Saturday, September 11, 2010

Oh! Here's some corrections to my previous posts....

Interesting fact #1 "Reclaimed land".... that is, the land on which we are living. I thought it must mean soil and sand. Wrong. Its landfill. I'm living on a rubbish dump. We all are. In fact, Victoria Island is no longer an island because the landfill joined it up with where we are.  Update: Actually, now I'm not sure again. It is sand. What defines landfill anyway? Anything that fills the land right? Well. Whatever. It's something.


Interesting fact #2 When I thought that lady gave me an extra akara cos I bargained so badly? Well, that was actually a dash. A dash is more often a bribe that you pay to people... like, the Area Boys who charge you to go on the beach, or to the police who stop you for no reason. However, it can also just be a gift from a street vendor. How nice! I love these people.


We're definitely getting more known from our walks. Yesterday we stopped to by something and the lady called her daughter over straight away and said "She's been waiting for you, she wants to ask you a question!", but the girl just got so shy... "What? Now they're here you aren't going to ask them??" Mum says.  I broke the ice with the girl by asking her some questions, but it wasn't enough for her to come out of her shell.... maybe she wanted to practice her English with some real oyibos, and that can be pretty scary! I'm thinking that I might be able to give some free english lessons.... but not just yet.... gotta get my head around the fact that my own school starts in two days!


Speaking of school, I've got the most awesome combination of nationalities.... nigerians, british, american, israeli, pakestan, indian. Awesome. I'm excited.

1 comment: