Monday, September 27, 2010

Lekki Conservation Reserve

Last weekend we were gifted the use of a driver for the day which was such a blessing! We headed about 5km down the Expressway to the Lekki Conservation Centre... a small area of rainforest which has been protected from the sprawling urban developments of Lagos city. For the short time in there, I forgot where I was, the constant drone of traffic and incessant honking faded right away, and I could have sworn I was back in Papua New Guinea rainforest. A run down information centre greeted us, along with a number of ancient tortoises, who have seen more than triple my entire lifespan! It was quite a rainy day, and the guide who met us was rather confused by the fact we wanted to walk in a light drizzle. The gentle rain just added so much beauty to the rainforest, and although we didn't see any crocodiles or giant rats, we were lucky enough to get an awesome view of the mona monkeys as they crashed and leaped through the trees. An awesome climb up to a treetop platform, put us up in the tops of the trees... too bad it wasn't a couple of metres higher so we could have really looked out over everything. 
I felt my entire soul being refreshed at this place.... and it actually increased my homesickness a bit, as I realised just how much I took for granted all the beautiful natural surroundings of home. Luckily this place is just down the road though, and with the added addition of our new driver, hopefully more remote journeys are to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment